Angela Cobbold Hall

Ideal for regular club meetings or workshops, parties, charity sales and so on.                  ACH Booking Secretary: 01473 620213


Angela Cobbold had a dream, to create a place of spiritual fulfillment for the people of Little Bealings and her memorial hall truly has a very friendly atmosphere, even more so since its redecoration in 2008.

Outside the Hall has also been repainted and the car park has five spaces which are clearly marked-out. If you need more space - there is also a car park at Bealings Village Hall, just a few steps up the road just over the brow of the hill on the left.

Historical Background to the Legacy
In 1924 a Trust was established with a view to build a village hut on land in Sandy Lane, which had been donated to the Parish by Mr Albert Howe. This was to be, “used in perpetuity as a non-sectarian and non-political place of recreation and social intercourse under the name of Little Bealings Parish Institute, for the advantage or benefit of the male and female inhabitants of Little Bealings and the surrounding district.”

One of the Trustees was Angela Cobbold, daughter of a prominent local family. Worthy as the Institute was, Angela was sorry that there was no hall specifically for the church. Sadly, Angela died in 1936 aged fifty-two and unmarried, before her dream was realised.

The land where Angela Cobbold Hall now stands was once part of The Grove, until comparatively recently, a home for retired gentlefolk, but previously, the private residence of Captain Eric Hervey. After Angela’s death Captain Hervey agreed to sell a small piece of land to Angela’s mother so that she could have a hall erected in memory of her daughter. The land was conveyed to Francis Cobbold, Angela’s brother, for the princely sum of £25 so now the hall could be built.

On completion the hall was donated to the St Edmundsbury and Ipswich Diocesan Board of Finance. The Board holds it for the benefit of the Church of England and the parishioners of Little Bealings.

It was to be used for… “a Sunday school or school for children and adults to teach the doctrines of the Church of England Catechism. For the Meeting of the Council or Committees, social conference of clergy, bible classes, communicants or meetings of any religious (C of E) nature. As a place for promoting and furthering in any manner the work of the Church of England in the Parish. The Parochial Church Council is at liberty to use the room for charitable purposes or to promote the Spiritual, Moral, Intellectual or Physical Improvement or Welfare or reasonable recreation, advantage or benefit of the Parishioners of Little Bealings.”

The Parochial Church Council could also let the Hall for profit. Otherwise, they had to pay all the bills, a situation much the same today!

In 1957, it was decided to sell the Parish Institute Hut, since a new Village Hall had been built to serve both Great and Little Bealings so it became surplus to requirements. There was some doubt about the legal position on dispersing the proceeds of the proposed sale. Mr Howe had died, but should it be returned to his estate or should it be used for charitable purposes? If the latter, should the proceeds be shared between the two other halls? It was slightly doubtful if the purposes of Angela Cobbold Hall were charitable and even more so with regard to the Village Hall! Fortunately, for the Halls, the Charity Commissioners gave their consent. In 1958, the Hut was sold for £200, of which, £100 went to Bealings Village Hall and £61.8.10 to Angela Cobbold Hall and the balance went on miscellaneous expenses.

The Angela Cobbold Hall’s kitchen and sanitary arrangements were in great need of improvement but it was not until 1964 that the work could be carried out. Further improvements have been carried out in the last three years.

In the light of modern day society, the religious functions specified in the original document have diminished. It does still have regular Church groups and is open for refreshment and friendship after some Church services and it is also home to Bealings Guides. The Benefice office is now located in two rooms adjacent to the main body of the Hall. This gives the Priest in Charge, Churchwardens and other members of the Parochial Church Council a base from which to operate.

The Hall is often thought of as the poor relation of the Bealings Village Hall, but it has an important role to play, not only as the Church Hall but also as a venue for smaller functions. For example, it is ideal for regular club meetings or workshops, parties, charity sales and so on.

Angela Cobbold had a dream, to create a place of spiritual fulfillment for the people of Little Bealings and her memorial hall truly has a very friendly atmosphere, even more so since its redecoration in 2008.

From time to time the PCC devises what it hopes will be fund-raising events. Please support the fund-raising events and if you need to hire a hall, think of Angela Cobbold!

Angela Cobbold Hall - Booking Secretary: 01473 620213